Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Legend Retires

So John Madden finally puts the microphone down, now if we can just get him to put down the fried turkey leg. This is a bitter sweet day for me as a football fan. I always thought John was a big goof. I thought he was way over rated as an announcer and always pointed out the obvious. But there is no mistaking the fact that I have watched football for almost 30 years (that I remember) with the turduckin man letting me know that you have to move the ball down field in order to score. The worst part of John Madden retiring isn’t will his video game live on, or who will do the tough actin tinactin commercials, no it’s the fact that now I have to put up with even more Chris Collinsworth on my TV. That’s right they are replacing a living legend with Chris “Shut your festering pie hole” Collinsworth the worst color man in all of football. They always say you never want to follow a legend and that you want to be the guy that follows the guy that followed the legend. Well I’m hoping that NBC will act like the Green Bay Packers did after Mike Holmgren left. They gave Ray Rohdes only one year realized they made a mistake and tried to correct it. Well either way John will be missed. We will miss the boom’s after a big hit, and I’ll even miss laughing after he points out the obvious. Can you think of a better time for him to retire than at the same time as his man crush Brett Favre (well maybe we should wait until they are actually playing to make sure Favre isn’t coming back). The bottom line is we are going to miss the big guy. While some will miss him for his football knowledge I will miss him more for the fact that Collinsworth will now be calling the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment